Ten individuals and organisations who made major contributions to the growth of civil society in Singapore in the last three years were honoured at the inaugural Singapore Advocacy Awards.
They are, in alphabetical order:
- ACRES (animal welfare organisation)
- All Things Bukit Brown (heritage preservation movement)
- Braema Mathi (human rights advocate)
- Chan Li Shan (mental health advocate)
- Damien Chng (second chances advocate)
- Eugene Tay (environmental sustainability advocate)
- Jeremy Boo and Lee Xian Jie (social issue filmmakers)
- Louis Ng (animal welfare advocate)
- M Ravi (human rights lawyer)
- Pink Dot (freedom to love movement)
At the awards ceremony at The Arts House, each received a certificate and a contribution of $1,000 towards their cause. Of the 10, five will additionally be presented with a special token in recognition of their outstanding achievements. These are:
- Braema Mathi and Louis Ng – Advocates of the Year
- All Things Bukit Brown – Advocacy Organisation of the Year
- Chan Li Shan and Damien Chng – Most Promising Advocates.